Skip to main content

You know all of those things you wanted to do? You should do them.

I tried to start a blog freshman year of college and my focus and inspiration died after the first week. It feels fitting to begin a new one for my last semester of college, which starts today. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about it. Feelings aside it will be great to be done studying after the next few months... at least for a while. I think I want to get my masters someday. Someday soon. But I suppose this year is all about living in the moment.

Being my first day back in the real world it's probably time to list out my goals and aspirations for the year. Waiting fourteen days into January goes against the whole new year better me thing but better now than never. Hopefully putting them down into a list all on one page will encourage me to reach for the stars or whatever. Here they are in no particular order.

1) Be more social.
Over the past few days I've met up with five friends at separate times in different places. That's pretty big for me. I am confident in the fact that I am one of the worst texters on this planet. Beyond that, for a college student I am really anti-social. You don't see me at parties or bars or really out with people in general. That doesn't have to be a bad thing but it is something that I want to change, and I'm off to a pretty good start. Like I said, five friends in the past few days. It will feel amazing if I can make time for college, work, and friends. Before college I wasn't that bad at hanging out with people but once I went off to school my social life died. I had some friendships fall apart and I didn't go out of my way to meet new people. That's not to say I never made friends or never went out, but it has been far from a priority for the past four years. I've rekindled some of these friendships and I look forward to allowing others to grow as well in 2019.

2) Get healthy.
For the last four years I have allowed myself to eat whatever I want and sit on my butt in the comfort of my own home instead making healthy decisions. Let's be honest, for the majority of my life. I am vegan so I don't eat that many nasty things by default, but I am far from healthy. I want to start cooking more homemade meals and eat healthier overall. I also plan to get a gym membership and actually work out on a regular basis. It's hard to find motivation but once you're in the grove of things it seems to be a doable thing for most people. Also, for someone who wants to go to stunt academy and learn to jump off buildings and thing like that, I need to be fit.

3) Stop being late for everything.
...and I mean everything. I'm going to put in serious effort to be on time to work, class, and anything else I schedule. It's important. People who are late to things are losers. Sorry but it's true. Right now I'm quite the loser. But this is going to change. In fact, maybe I'll even be early to everything but for now I'll focus on at least being on time.

4) Make big (career) moves.
Even blogging is a step in the right direction. I want to write. I want to make films. I want to work on music. I want to CREATE. Making big career moves like perfecting my resume and portfolio and sending them to every place I've ever dreamt of working. Writing a book. Just making moves. This is super big to me. I'm done sitting on my butt (refer to goal 2) and watching everyone else accomplish the things I've always wanted to accomplish. I'm going to focus on being successful in everything I do. Whatever it is, I'm going to kill it from here on out. This is it. My year to make things happen for myself. We all have a unique story and perspective to tell it from. It would be unfair for us not to do just that.

5) Save more money.
I'll thank myself later for this one. I really only spend my money on bills and payments, but of course there are things I buy that I really don't need. I've set the number at $5,000. I want to have at least that much in my bank account by the end of the year. Keeping up with the bills and payments I mentioned previously while saving this much is going to be tricky but it's going to be so worth it. This might not seem like much money to some people, but to me it's a pretty big number. Of course I'd like it to be higher, but let's be reasonable shall we?

Well, I have to go meet a friend now. A business partner? I can't be late (refer to goal 3). Let's root for each other and watch each other grow.

Comments